4. To have a good support network for our children we want to get on with their teachers. But we find the jump from primary to secondary scary with little support or reassurance. We need to feel our children are safe.
5. We want our children to learn about their culture with their friends at school in a positive way. We want Gypsy Roma Traveller culture in history, dance cooking, languages, and, our values in every aspect of the curricula taught this benefits everyone.
8. We are often targeted by local authorities, harassed by police, face discrimination on a daily basis this has been a generational struggle for our cultural way of life to continue and progress with society.
9. Please do make your self known to GTR families, be kind, listen to them. Be aware that they may be a bit hostile at first because they are waiting for you to judge them, they are waiting to feel patronised, humiliated at not being able to read to their child every night.
10. We as parents realise the importance of education and it’s possibilities however we may have had very little to no education ourselves. We may have never been to a university, we have and had no way of getting there. We have been isolated from educational progression. Ultimately we are scared.